Why De-Cluttering Should Be at the Top of Our To Do List.... IF We Can Find It!
Have you ever cleared out an area of your house, car, or garage and felt instantly lighter, happier, and freer?! It never fails, when we buckle down and get rid of extra clutter, we automatically feel better. The act of sorting through things and hauling them off isn’t, itself, always a joy… but the effects certainly are!
I work from home and, for whatever reasons, my office works pace gets cluttered faster than a 16 year old boy’s car. Or room… or locker… As an avid reader who’s always in the middle of at least 4 books, there are (understandably) mountains of books everywhere you look. I hoard pens… my own as well as my family member’s… so there are overcrowded pen holders on my desk AND shelves.
I’m forever cutting out newspaper and magazine articles when doing research for one of my 8 blogs and naturally there are at least 5 bottles of nail polish in the vicinity of all times.
Whenever things get too cluttery (one of my favorite made-up words), I honestly have trouble concentrating. I find myself looking at the mess and thinking..
- What is it with me and pens anyway??
- Ooooh, that’s a great shade of pink… I need to do my nails…
- I can’t believe Emily (oldest daughter) found me this adorable little Hawk Girl figurine.
- Why isn’t there a Hawk Girl movie for crying out loud?
- Wonder if Michael misses his pens yet.
- This “World’s Best Mom” plaque from Brittany is just too sweet…
- Ha! The fat cat figurine from Steph cracks me up… I need to re-situate him, he’s crooked.
- Why is re-situate a hyphened word, why not just allow it to be resituate?
- What IS it with me and pens…
You know, everything BUT work that needs to be done. Clutter is like that. It’s ridiculously distracting. But there’s actually more to it than that. It doesn’t just look bad… it IS bad.
The last thing any of us want or need in our life is extra stress, yet that’s what clutter brings into our lives – bonus stress.
The great infographic below will tell you just how much damage clutter is doing to you – inside as well as outside. While you’re enjoying the infographic, I’m going to clean out my pen holders.
Yes… all four of them. They’re starting to annoy Hawk Girl.