There are certain things in life that we can do that’ll keep us feeling and looking young. Habits that’ll fool our bodies into thinking that we’re much younger than our birth certificates claim. By the same token, there are certain things that’ll make us look, feel, and actually be older than we really are. I can’t imagine anyone wanting to sign on for that one!
Below are five proven ways to send old age to someone else’s doorstep, because as cute as the little people above are – none of us are quite ready to wear their shoes.
1. Find a way, make a way to deal with stress. Everyone has bad days – and sometimes those days turn into weeks. Then months. Then years. Then get your rocker. When stressful things jump all over you, shake them off by doing something you enjoy. Make the time – it’s that important.
One of my daughters (Stephany) and I do business online (We run a Web Publishing, Web Design, and Web Hosting business, maintain over 20 websites/blogs, and are launching an ebay store.). While we absolutely LOVE what we do and wouldn’t want to ever do anything else, there are days when stress climbs all over us. We’ll exchange a look and that’s all it takes. I head for my Nikes and she heads for her hot and worth the price, mom Skechers and we take off for our favorite walking trail or tennis court – some days call for both. Then we’ll grab a Diet Cherry Lime drink from Sonic, and we’re as good as new and ready to tackle the html, php, rss….or whatever abbreviated stress-carrier we’re facing at the moment. My husband, who works outside the house AND in the Web Publishing and Affiliate Marketing business swears by golf to shake off the stress monkey. Whatever it is that makes you smile and leave the scowl behind – do it!
Unwind, relax, have fun, enjoy life. Look at our people above, again, if you aren’t relaxing enough – you’re running in their direction.
2. Inactivity is another accelerator to premature aging. It’s one of those things that becomes easier to do the more often you do it. Some people have to literally force themselves to get up and get going – but once they do, they fall totally in love with being active. Tennis, golf, bowling, gardening, roller skating, walking, aerobic dance, yoga, pilates, weight-lifting…..pick one, two, three, or more and get that body moving!
3. If you smoke – STOP! Over 1/5 of American adults smoke. They’re inviting lung cancer, heart problems, and premature wrinkling right into their bed.
If you smoke, make today the day you stop. For yourself and for everyone who loves you. Try different methods until you find the one that works. Your life depends on it.
4. Get all the sleep you need. Lack of sleep has been linked to obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and memory problems, even in young adults.
5. Get fit and stay fit. Being overweight boosts the chances of heart disease, diabetes and even cancer. Yet 65 percent of Americans weigh more than they should. A lot of it goes back to inactivity, but the typical American diet leaves a lot to be desired. We eat way too much sugar and saturated fat (in meats, poultry, milk and butter). A Mediterranean style diet would be so much healthier.
If we’d all commit to eating more healthy foods, cutting out unhealthy foods, and getting more activity – we could cut that 65 percent waaaaay down.
- Headed to the tennis court – my serve disappeared during the winter months and I’m trying to woo it back.Have a great, BUSY, fun day,