Some things are wildly popular because they’re wildly awesome. That’s most definitely the case with H. Jackson Brown, Jr.’s 21 Suggestions for Success. You could, literally, stop at each of the 21 “suggestions” and write a self help/self improvement book!
Instead (I mean, who has time to write 21 books?), I suggest spending a little time with each one. Don’t just read the suggestions, hear the suggestions. H. Jackson Brown, Jr. hasn’t just given us a great read, he’s given us an outline that could prove to be life-changing.
- Marry the right person. This one decision will determine 90% of your happiness or misery.
- Work at something you enjoy and that’s worthy of your time and talent.
- Give people more than they expect and do it cheerfully.
- Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
- Be forgiving of yourself and others.
- Be generous.
- Have a grateful heart.
- Persistence, persistence, persistence.
- Discipline yourself to save money on even the most modest salary.
- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.
- Commit yourself to quality.
- Understand that happiness is not based on possessions, power or prestige, but on relationships with people you love and respect.
- Be loyal.
- Be honest.
- Be a self-starter.
- Be decisive even if it means you’ll sometimes be wrong.
- Stop blaming others. Take responsibility for every area of your life.
- Be bold and courageous. When you look back on your life, you’ll regret the things you didn’t do more than the ones you did.
- Take good care of those you love.
- Don’t do anything that wouldn’t make your Mom proud.
Keep Motivation in Plain Sight with the 21 Suggestions for Success Poster: