You career can move at whatever speed you set for it. If you want to climb the ladder fast you need to put in adequate efforts. Unless you are super genius in your field – and even then it is doubtful – you are not indispensable. The recession has taught this lesson the hard way to most “experts”. Here are a few not so well-known ways that will help you:
- Learn To Smile – smile a lot. Smile when you greet your boss, your colleagues, your clients. Nobody likes to see a grumpy face. Everyone has problems; it is best that you leave yours at home. When you are at office, be as pleasant as you can be.
- Acknowledge Your Mistakes – everyone commits mistakes sometime or other. Do not pass the blame on somebody else. First of all, you are not fooling anyone; secondly, you will be respected better if you acknowledge your mistake and do your best to repair the damage.
- Under-Promise And Over-Deliver – do not be one that talks too much and does too less. Always promise less and deliver more. Your superior as well as your colleagues will gradually identify you with the highest quality work.
- Say ‘Thank you’ and ‘Sorry’ As Often As Is Necessary – anyone does anything for you, be fast to appreciate it. Be equally fast to apologize if you have made a mistake or hurt anyone’s feelings.
- Learn To Say ‘No’ And You Want To Say ‘No’ – many say ‘yes’ when they desperately want to say ‘no’ because they feel it would be impolite. Saying ‘no’ rudely is impolite; but you need not say it rudely. Practice saying ‘no’ politely and without giving too many excuses. Do not be hard on yourself; it takes lots of practice but once you get there, you will find that your life is much easier and contrary to common belief, your popularity will grow.
- At Work Place You Work – while a few tiny coffee breaks are okay, do not make it a habit to indulge in personal work at office. Avoid taking personal calls, surfing the Net for personal stuff, answering personal emails, and so on during working hours. Give all you have during the working hours; and disconnect yourself from office after working hours.
- Dress Appropriately – it is okay if sometimes on a Saturday or Friday evening you come in full casuals. However, for regular working days, dress your part. You are the face of the company hence, if you dress sloppily that is what others will think of you, your work and your company.
If you wear glasses, you can purchase a nice pair from Coastal.