This morning, while lying by Alexa’s cage, I started thinking about human character flaws. I say human to clear up any misconceptions that I meant cat character flaws, because they haven’t any. If you don’t believe me, ask a cat.
I came up with a theory (yes, another one of my kitchen floor theories).
You know, generally speaking, we’re all like coins in that we each have a “flip side.” You can think of any bad trait or character flaw in an individual and, moments later, think of a “flip side” of that negative.
Here are a few illustrations to show you what I’m getting at:
- The husband who is so laid back that he never picks up after himself is often the same husband who’s kind nature makes life more pleasant. Socks on the floor? The flip side of the man who laughs about having to get a bumper fixed. Again.
- The vain college student who literally panics if a hair gets out of place is often the same girl who will land on the honor roll because of the same level of perfectionism. She’ll also be a wonderful employee because she accepts nothing but the best from herself.
- The individual who gets angry so fast that it alarms you is often is the same person who is filled with so much fight that they often amaze themselves with what they’re able to accomplish.
- The father who seems to be on his son’s case constantly often pushes that son further than he would have gone under his own steam.
- The son or daughter who is so strong-willed that you want to scream will be the same strong-willed individual when the situation calls for it. As a mother of three daughters, I don’t hate on strong wills – I embrace them.
- The wife who’s husband thinks is too easy going is the same wife who never has been – and never will be – a nag. If he comes home late for dinner, he won’t be handed his backside along with his napkin and the potatoes will be the only thing that’s cold.
- The doctor who consistently keeps you waiting is busy giving quality time to another patient. The same quality time you’re about to receive.
- The person who is so anal that you stare at them in disbelief is often the same person who the word spotless was created for.
- And the person who you complain about never being serious? Keep that person nearby! Their flip side will make you live longer… and better.
You see what I’m driving at. If we all try (and some times are harder than others) to look at someone’s “flip side” – we’ll discover that the good often balances out the bad. That doesn’t mean we have to applaud the negative, but acknowledging the positive on the other side will help us tolerate that which we loathe with a passion. Especially if it’s our own flip side we’re looking at. Self tolerance is a good thing, right?
It helps to keep flip sides in mind when dealing with everyone. It also helps to remind yourself that no one is perfect. The only person who was perfect was tortured and killed. Others who flirtted with perfection didn’t fare much better. One young man, with a very snazzy coat, was sold into bondage by his own brothers (Joseph), one brave young woman was a slave for a great part of her life and suffered greatly as a result of having an iron thrown at her head (Harriet Tubman), one prayer warrior was thrown ino a lion’s den (Daniel), one very gentle man was beheaded (John the Baptist), and one was shot in the head while trying to enjoy a play with his wife after saving his country from itself (Abraham Lincoln).
I’m not so sure we should want perfect-ish people anywhere near us?!?!
Let’s be happy with the colorful, deliciously fascinating people we have around us. Keep in mind that we give them just as many reasons to look for flip sides as they give us. Besides, they keep life interesting and, if we’ll be honest, they give us many more reasons to smile than to frown. Be tolerant of others and embrace their individualism. Remember, when they let down their guard and are “themself” around you, it’s the greatest compliment you’ll ever receive.
Have a great, relaxing Sunday – and may your team win… Unless they’re playing the Bronco’s. Then, I wish nothing for them except abject humiliation. 😉