Clutter isn’t any fun – is that an understatement or what? At it’s worst, clutter is stressful and even unhealthy (physically, mentally, and emotionally). Fortunately learning how to get rid of clutter and finding ways to reduce clutter (while organizing your home) is both possible and easy. You simply have to make up your mind that you’re going to break free from the rut!
- If you have to buy more shelves or organizers, buy them – it’s an investment you won’t regret.
- Haul off anything you don’t LOVE and USE. Someone will!
- Tackle one room and/or project at a time. Trying to do an entire house is far too overwhelming – take it a room at a time and, if need be, one part of each room at a time. Maybe the closet on Monday, dresser on Tuesday, etc. Even if you devote just one hour each day to a particular project, you’ll make a lot of progress.
- Take it easy on yourself! Seriously. Life, work, daily chores, and family require the majority of our time and effort. Things build up, things back up. It’s all part of life and it’s something we all deal with. Don’t be hard on yourself… just be hard on the clutter.
- My favorite “trick” for getting something done is to tell myself that I’m only going to work on it for 10 minutes. By the time 10 minutes passes, I’m so involved that I stick with it. Even if I don’t, at least something got done!