Prevention Magazine’s excellent website has a very interesting (and potentially life-saving) feature called 20 Ways to Prevent Cancer Certain cancer-fighting foods and other healthy habits can dramatically lower your cancer risk. By now, we’re all pretty aware of the basics:
- Avoid too much sun exposure, including tanning beds.
- Eat right – healthy fruits and vegetables, whole grains…
- Get some form of exercise each day
The list compiled by Prevention’s editors, however, points out A LOT more things we can do to keep this monster at bay. Many of the tips will leave you with your jaw hanging open, simply because they’re things we’re guilty of almost daily. However, armed with the information today, we can change our ways and make our tomorrows much healthier.
Below are a few of the 20 Ways to Prevent Cancer:
- Filter Your Tap Water. “You’ll reduce your exposure to known or suspected carcinogens and hormone-disrupting chemicals.” – Prevention
- Caffeinate Every Day. “Java lovers who drank 5 or more cups of caffeinated coffee a day had a 40% decreased risk of brain cancer, compared with people who drank the least, in a 2010 British study. A 5-cup-a-day coffee habit reduces risks of oral and throat cancer almost as much.” – Prevention (I’m ALL over this one!)
- Water Down Your Cancer Risk. Drinking lots of water (filtered) lowers your risk of getting bladder cancer.
- Walk to Prevent Breast Cancer. “Moderate exercise such as brisk walking 2 hours a week cuts risk of breast cancer 18%.” – Prevention
To learn 16 more blockades that you can place between yourself and cancer, be sure to read the entire article: 20 Ways to Prevent Cancer Certain cancer-fighting foods and other healthy habits can dramatically lower your cancer risk.