Those of us with children in our lives have extra special concerns and fears we face on a day to day basis – keeping the children we love and cherish as safe as possible. The fact that so many children (unfortunately!) spend so much time online just adds to our worries.
The online world offers so many threats and risks for children – whether they’re 8 years old or 18. Most parents and grandparents don’t even realize all the unsavory (and downright dangerous) things that are out there and one of the reasons is that we, as adults, tend to frequent our favorite websites and apps and don’t diligently watch out for ones that could be luring (and harming) our kids.
Whether it’s horrifying images, predators, or scams – countless people are just waiting to take advantage of kids.
A few tips:
- Be certain your child is old enough to be trusted with an iPhone, iPad, or unsupervised internet time.
- Monitor the amount of time your child spends online. This is becoming a colossal problem in our society and one that isn’t just going to go away.
- Obviously, you love your child and trust them. Somehow we just inherently trust our children – however, always be on guard. A lie (to a child, even as old as 18) is nothing more than a means of avoiding trouble – they don’t associate it with being disrespectful and they certainly don’t realize the dangers that are posed to them. They assume we (the adults) are being overprotective and unreasonable. Just don’t drop your guard.
- Do your research! Stay on top of current dangers and experiences other parents and grandparents have had.
- The guide Parent Alert: How to Keep Your Kids Safe Online is a wonderful resource.
- Keep one thing in mind – it is always better to come across as overprotective and risk “annoying” your child than for any harm to come to them.
Below is an infographic from SwiftTechBuy.com which lists the most dangerous apps for kids. I hope you’ll share it with everyone you know who has children in their lives. At the bottom of the inofgraphic is a list of “source.” The websites listed in the sources would be great places for you to use to stay informed.
Click the infographic for a larger version!
Infographic Courtesy of SwiftTechBuy.com