Ten Reasons Why You're Going to Love this Book
“The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison.” – Ann Wigmore
If you’re looking for fun, simple ways to eat healthier, here’s a book that’ll prove to be a dream come true for you. The VB6 Cookbook: More than 350 Recipes for Healthy Vegan Meals All Day and Delicious Flexitarian Dinners at Night doesn’t just provide you with delicious, easy to make recipes that won’t break the bank, it makes eating healthier fun and.. yes… tastier.
Okay. Before you accuse me of getting my Self Help Blog mixed up with my Food Blog (Get Cooking) let me assure you I’m posting a cookbook review on Self Help Daily for an excellent reason. You see, this isn’t just a cookbook. This book is actually part of a life improving program, The VB6 plan by Mark Bittman. Anything that can improve someone’s health and life is a perfect fit for a self help and self improvement blog.
Have you ever heard the term “flexitarian?” Flexitarian refers to a relationship with food that isn’t 100 percent strictly vegan. It’s a way of eating that is flexible, meaning more people will actually STICK with it. Mark Bittman’s VB6 program is simplistically beautiful: You simply eat vegan before 6:00 pm. The program has helped a great number of people improve their health, lose weight, and feel better than they’d felt in years.
See? I told you this book was a perfect fit for a Self Improvement blog!
Below are the Top 10 Reasons you shouldn’t wait another day before you buy The VB6 Cookbook:
- Gorgeous Book. Whenever I review a book on Self Help Daily or Get Cooking, I always pay close attention to my first impression of the book. Is it well-made (meaning it’ll stand up to years of use and enjoyment)? Is it attractive? Does it look like the publishers were serious about impressing the readers or was their heart only halfway into it? The VB6 Cookbook is a real looker. The beautiful, hardback, 250+ page book is everything, visually, I’d want a book to be.
- Mark Bittman. Period. To say I cook a lot is a ridiculous understatement. I’m in my kitchen more often than a Priest is in church. I’m seldom happier than I am when I’m cooking meals for my family and I LOVE trying out new recipes as much as I LOVE using and re-using favorite recipes. Mark Bittman is the author of many of my favorite recipes. When I want to try out a new recipe for something in particular, I’ll turn to Mark Bittman’s recipes before I turn to a lot of household name celebrity chefs. His recipes never fail, it’s as simple as that.
- Healthy Eating = Healthy Living. Not long ago, I spent a few days in the waiting room of a cardiology surgical center. I was with a family member who was WAY too young to find themselves in a hospital gown in such a place. Sad thing was, as I looked around, I saw A LOT of people who were WAY too young to be where they were. Heart disease isn’t just frightening, it’s striking more and more people and it’s striking them at younger ages. Plain and simple, it’s the American diet and something has got to be done about it. We’re creating our own plague of Biblical proportions and if people don’t wake up and start eating healthier, they’ll find themselves in hospitals, cardiology departments, and worse.
- KISS. No, not the rock group. KISS as in Keep It Simple, Stupid. This book – or more to the point, this program – makes it painless and incredibly simple to start eating healthier. If you don’t know why that’s important, you must have skipped number 3.
- Delicious Food! Even if, somehow, you didn’t associate these recipes with healthier eating, you’d still love the delicious flavors.
- Fun Food. Whether you’re one of those people who live to cook (like me) or you’d rather do just about anything BUT cook, you’ll love The VB6 Cookbook. The recipes are fun, creative, and mix things up a bit in the kitchen. You’ll find recipes you’ll be so excited about you’ll want to try them the very day you get the book. I actually made my first recipe (Chipotle “Mayo”) from The VB6 Cookbook within 2 hours of getting the book in the mail. That’s a new record, even for me.
- Your Family. While this one may somewhat tie in with number 3, it’s important enough to get it’s very own number. The more healthy meals you’re able to feed your family, the better their health will be. Not only are you giving them wholesome, healthy food at one particular meal, you’re introducing them to a whole new relationship with food. They’ll soon realize that healthier eating is actually more flavorful than unhealthy eating. When you get right down to it, most unhealthy food tastes pretty much the same. Fried. Fatty. Salty. The VB6 way of eating will introduce your loved ones to a world of wonderful flavors that’ll make them fall in love with healthier eating. Here’s a little secret about eating healthy – you can keep this between you and me, the kids and spouses don’t have to know: Healthy eating becomes addictive. When you get rid of the bad stuff, you’ll find yourself craving the good stuff. Where you once said, “I need a big fat cheeseburger with a farmer’s wealth of bacon,” you’ll find yourself thinking, “I have to have a Cherry Vanilla Smoothie and Vegetable Pot Pie or maybe Schezuan Beef and Celery..” (3 of the recipes in the book). I don’t know why – but it’s my experience that the healthier you eat, the healthier you want to eat. Sadly the same is true about unhealthy eating.
- Motivation and Inspiration. The first pages of the book include Mark Bittman’s “My Story.” The motivational intro makes you even more committed to eating right. Basically, you jump right in the boat with the author and agree to go on a healthier journey with him. He’s one of those authors who write in a manner that makes you feel like he’s talking to you, personally. Reading his books (and even his recipes) feels like you’re having a nice little visit with him. This type of writing cannot be taught, it’s a gift and when he was gifted, he was gifted generously.
- Information and Advice Beyond the Recipes. After the wonderful Introduction, pages 12 through 45 lay out the VB6 plan beautifully. There are charts, information, meal plans, ideas, suggestions, and more. There are also personalized tips and ideas with each recipe in the book – including “variations” and “more ideas.”
- You’re the Boss of You. While The VB6 program is best (as in you’ll see the most results) if you follow it as designed, when all’s said and done, You’re the boss of you! If you want to approach the program strictly and eat Vegan before 6:00 on most, if not all, days – go for it! If you want to simply add MORE vegetarian meals to your diet, then approach the cookbook in that way. If you’re simply looking for fresh new healthy recipes to serve your family… the cookbook is still a must have.
Some of the recipes you’ll love:
- Chipotle “Mayo” (the first recipe I made from the book – delicious! This “mayo” is a great dip for vegetables and is excellent as a condiment for burgers or protein patties)
- Scrambled Sweet and Hot Peppers
- Pico De Gallo
- Nut Butters
- Everyday Salad Bowl
- Blueberry Spoon Bread
- Schezuan Beef and Celery
- Cherry Vanilla Smoothie
- Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Morning Milkshake
- Pork Chop Pan Roast
- Raspberry Sorbet on a Stick
- Green Toast
- Fruit Candy
- Frozen Tropical Truffles
- Red Paella with Scallops
- Beans, Shrimp, and Fennel
- Southwestern Bean Dip with Peppers (black beans, cloves,cilantro…)
- Red Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Big Batch Cooked Beans
- Rice Pudding with Slow-Roasted Fruit
- MANY MANY MANY more.
From the Back Cover:
Mark Bittman’s breakthrough diet plan, first introduced in the #1 New York Times bestselling VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . for Good (click through for the hard back version of this bestseller - a Kindle edition is also available), has been hailed as “compelling” (Publisher’s Weekly), “commonsense” (Washington Post), “sustainable” (TheKitchn.com), and a “small painless change” that can have a “huge impact” (Salon.com). Now he expands on his appealing, simple, reasonable approach to flexitarian cooking with a companion cookbook, featuring hundreds of delicious new ways to make VB6 your permanent style of eating. It’s never been easier to eat vegan before 6:00 – and deliciously all of the time.
I hope you’ll click through and take a closer look at The VB6 Cookbook: More than 350 Recipes for Healthy Vegan Meals All Day and Delicious Flexitarian Dinners at Night - I’m really excited about this particular approach to eating and I’m having a ball with the wonderful recipes.
I know you’ll love The VB6 Cookbook just as much as I do.
Note: I received this book from the Blogging for Books program in exchange for this review. The opinions are entirely my own.