The day we STOP learning is the day we STOP growing and if that thought, alone, doesn’t convince you to open your eyes to being more “teachable,” nothing will.
Below are 12 “self test” questions to help determine how teachable you are. They were devised by Marty Williams and can provide you with a wealth of insight.
- I am willing to listen more than talk.
- I admit when I am mistaken.
- I observe before acting on a situation.
- I am able to agree to disagree.
- I desire information more than answers.
- I enjoy asking questions.
- I am open to suggestions and new ideas.
- I feel comfortable asking for advice or directions.
- I am a patient and willing “student.”
- I enjoy reading for information that is practical and applicable.
- I seek out new perspectives on the questions of life.
- I can appreciate criticism without being deeply wounded.
If you’ve come up short – and let’s face it, we all will in at least one area – simply vow to work on becoming more teachable. More times than not, that involves just one thing: Realizing that we don’t know everything!