Do you believe that you can learn at least something from every person you meet? I’m of that belief – granted, sometimes it can take a little while and it often takes a totally open mind, but, yes indeed, I believe everyone has something worth teaching.
Below are 12 “self test” type questions to help determine how teachable you are. They were devised by Marty Williams and can provide you with a wealth of insight.
- I am willing to listen more than talk.
- I admit when I am mistaken.
- I observe before acting on a situation.
- I am able to agree to disagree.
- I desire information more than answers.
- I enjoy asking questions.
- I am open to suggestions and new ideas.
- I feel comfortable asking for advice or directions.
- I am a patient and willing “student.”
- I enjoy reading for information that is practical and applicable.
- I seek out new perspectives on the questions of life.
- I can appreciate criticism without being deeply wounded.
Okay, let me get this straight. You’re supposed to observe a situation before taking action? You don’t jump in and then ask how deep the water is?! Someone should have broken that to me long, long ago.
Oh, yeah, I have big trouble with that one.